Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Bushing replacement

Wizza

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stafford
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Have the set apart and am working on replacing the bushings on my snout.....old ones were very loose and wearing off badly.

The ones I have as new from a reputable shop are larger in their OD than the insert hole ID is on the blower.

I do not want to damage the lip ring or the barrel of the bushing and have to go thru this all over again.

I am doing this with the blower still in the car and propped up in the front for snout removal.

Any recommendations?

I cleaned the inner barrel of the holes already and made certain there was not residue preventing the replacement from going in.

Am a little surprised how hard these bushing materials are, genuinely thought all this time they were a polymer of some sort.

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
Get a Bigger Hammer [bash]

OP
Wizza

Wizza

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stafford
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Get a Bigger Hammer [bash]
Not gonna happen there....I am doing this to fix one issue not create another

Have the bushings in the freezer presently to see if i can just get an edge in

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Post picture of one

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Have the set apart and am working on replacing the bushings on my snout.....old ones were very loose and wearing off badly.

The ones I have as new from a reputable shop are larger in their OD than the insert hole ID is on the blower.

I do not want to damage the lip ring or the barrel of the bushing and have to go thru this all over again.

I am doing this with the blower still in the car and propped up in the front for snout removal.

Any recommendations?

I cleaned the inner barrel of the holes already and made certain there was not residue preventing the replacement from going in.

Am a little surprised how hard these bushing materials are, genuinely thought all this time they were a polymer of some sort.

I was under the impression that they were Acetal/Delrin (black plastic), are they something different?

Seems like I recall @Speedy! doing this repair once and there may be a video on his channel?

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I asked for a pic as There are a few different varieties out there. The Bond ones are black Delrin and oversized on the OD which makes them a tight fit on the ID once squeezed down.

OP
Wizza

Wizza

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stafford
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
JB bushings in picture with one removed from Jokerz used for the past year

Attachments

OP
Wizza

Wizza

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stafford
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
Froze them and I am skeptical that helped as they still needed the force of mallet and 1/2 inch driver extension

Was all going fine enough until one fell to the bottom inside of the front belly pan.......ugh

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Get

Any recommendations?

rid of them and get the ones from SDG.

OP
Wizza

Wizza

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stafford
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
got them installed finally, except for one that dropped into the front belly pan,,,,,now I get to take that off and find the little bugger

fwiw, freezing them did nothing to reduce the size of the Delrin and they do not retain temperature very well at all.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Your lucky they didn’t crack, frozen plastic gets brittle usually, and doesn’t shrink like metal does.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I've changed those out on a few blowers. clean the holes well, use a little grease, and a small plastic or rubber hammer to slightly tap them flush.

OP
Wizza

Wizza

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stafford
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
am done but at this point am just hoping I did no damage to the rotor as seated with the tapping......JB does NOT recommend that be the way they are installed.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Ok, stupid question, did anyone mic the od of the bearings and id of the hole? If the difference is more than .005 there is a prob. I'm a plastics guy. Acetal is a crystalline polymer making it very stiff, hard, chemical resistant and stable. If you have .005 interference on the od of the bearing, expect the bore to compress at least the same. Chamfering the leading edge to help it into the bore might help. Putting the bushings in a freezer and warming the bore might help.

OP
Wizza

Wizza

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stafford
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
[QUOTE="2ndAmend, [/QUOTE]
valid question, and answered above, bushings are meant to be larger by a smidge according to the design and seller, and will shave off the margin of OD and fit snugly. The bushings were put in the freezer and lightly oiled before installation. Had considered a light sanding just to make a margin of difference and think that will be the plan if I ever do this again