Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Which Launch Type is Best

Member ID
City
The Woodlands
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Durango Hellcat
On a 2023 Durango Hellcat.....which launch type has netted you the best results. Brake Torque Launch or Launch Control?

In the 2023 Performance Features Guide ( the SRT Specific Manual for the 6.2 ) which I downloaded from www.mopar.com/om (you'd think when you spend 88K on a vehicle it would be waiting for you in the glove box), it does not state which launch type works best.

I am trying to understand the differences while I am in break in mode, so that when its available to me at the 500 mile mark, I am ready to go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
U will be slower with Launch control it just doesnt work very well. It doesnt function like the Demon TB does.

1800 RPM's is where u wanna be if ur looking for the proper RPM to leave at. I have tried several different ways of launching and ur best bet is to buy the Tury throttle accelerator. Ive tried bringing the RPM's up to 1800 then launching but once I put the throttle accelerator on I was able to launch better by just stabbing it cause there is less tire spin.

It also depends on ur power levels so u really have to try different ways to see which will work best. As I got faster I found just stabbing it was best on the street cause of tire spin. At the track u can build some boost cause u wont spin.

Tire selection is huge. As u make more power ull need a better tire. I tell ppl the very best tire to replace the stock tires is the Continental Extreme Contact 02's. No offense but them Goodyear tires that come with the Durango are garbage. They are NOT designed to launch at all!!!!! Get rid of them otherwise ull just spin.....

These trucks have very lazy throttles from the factory so the throttle booster is necessary imo. I have since swapped to a Stage6 Two Step that is made specifically for the Hellcat platform and its plug and play. That seems to work best.

https://www.mhfautolighting.com/col...motive-tazer-for-2014-2022-grand-cherokee-wk2

https://highhorseperformance.com/st...ter-system-for-5-7-6-1-6-2-6-4l-s6m-hemi-002/

Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
On the 6.4 anyway my 2023 launches GREAT with maximum acceleration using the Launch Control as it says to use it. MUCH better than any Challenger.

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
I have a Trackhawk bro which launches the same as a Durango.

They dont launch the same way as an SRT, the dont have the same suspension, they dont transfer power the same way.

No one uses the launch control on a Trackhawk or Durango when wanting to go fast. It just doesnt work well..... I have no clue why ur arguing this point its fact! The launch control sux!

Last I looked mine is AWD? The only lime in the ointment is the Hellcat engine and its upgraded tranny sister.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'll add that my best 0-60mph time in my DSRT is using launch control. I'll keep the time to myself however because when you're at ~7500DA, ALL times suck.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I'll add that my best 0-60mph time in my DSRT is using launch control. I'll keep the time to myself however because when you're at ~7500DA, ALL times suck.
I’ll be out for three weeks next month before bringing it back. We can do some comparisons then I’ll come back here on a cool day and see what a difference it makes. I did it when it was new here (don’t remember the 0-60, but I’ll look in two weeks) it felt way different than any other launch control I have tried. It seemed to really work. I think I remember I thought I could get my foot deeper into it, then had to drive it to 6000’.

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
FYI:
This is a public forum.
Personal attacks are not tolerated.
Let's be civil people.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
@John Himsel so? Have you tried anything yet?

OP
J
Member ID
City
The Woodlands
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Durango Hellcat
Thread Starter #10
I finally got past the 500 mile break in......this morning I tried a couple of 0 - 60 runs. Both were on foot brake.
First one just launched with not raising the RPM's....3.8 sec. Next run I foot braked and raised the RPM's to 1800.
She went 3.4. Only mod is the JLT intake.
Durango Hellcat 0-60.jpg

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Good sprint! Do the launch control sometime and let’s see the difference. That is getting into some real respectable territory.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle