Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

MT ET-R 315/50/17 Alternatives?

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Same size and equivalent grip. Cause I'm about done with MT and their Ray Charles QC.

Ordered 2 radials for drag week. One mounts up and calls for 2.75oz.

2nd calls for 11.5? Flip 180 and calls for 10. Summit does a next day air exchange. It arrives yesterday at lunch.

Replacement tire calls for 11.5...are you fistf&@king me? Break it down and do the wheel only. 1oz direct opposite the stem and laser says she's good.

Mount it back up 180...15.5oz...

Call summit. This dude swears that for tires 20" and larger 15pz is acceptable. I'm like LOLNOPE. MT is a percentage of tire weight and this is Bonkers. I can SEE the high spot on this one. He relents and authorizes a 2nd replacement. Sends return label. Call ends. Email invoice reads ground shipping? Hold up.

Call again. Woman is totally cool with checking into it. Finds the credit exchange might hold it up so a brief hold and she sends it up a level who do I get? The guy from my last call. He's like "I looked it up and you were right sir. So we're good on the return" that's great. I need this priority overnight like the first one. Will it arrive next day? Yes it will the invoice was wrong would you like the updated one? Yes I would. We chat. We're cool. Call ends.

Invoice shows ground again. FML. I had two verbal assurances so we let it rest because sometimes you don't get emails or updates until after the thing leaves the building anyway.

This morning? No text updates. No email. Still shows "ready to ship" - in contrast the first replacement I had all of this information within hours.

So. I'm going to mount up one of my old radials that I know will balance out with less than 6 oz of weight and we're going to send it despite the treadware difference because I don't have a choice at this point.

So after that mile long story what other Tire Alternatives do I have because I'm sick of Ray Charles sticking the fist to me.

Summit has been about as good as they can be throughout the entire ordeal but

EDIT: Mickey Thompson made this right by me and they were under no obligation to do so. We're cool now.

Last edited:

GNBRETT

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Trackhawk, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Stang, Golf R
Hoosier DBR. Lighter, taller, cheaper hooks up better. In the Trackhawk world thats the ONLY tire used when street racing or drag racing at the track.

For my DD duties I run the MT Street R. But its not even remotely close to as good as the Hoosier for traction! It wont last as long as the Street R tho but thats because its softer.

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
mickeys site says that much weigh is normal and acceptable. Use a balancing beads inside of the tires, lots of people do. No other options for a street legal safe drag radial. Do you have beadlocks? I trimmed the inside of my tires for mounting on beadlocks and they still take weight but much less to balance

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
IMG_7111.jpeg

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
mickeys site says that much weigh is normal and acceptable. Use a balancing beads inside of the tires, lots of people do. No other options for a street legal safe drag radial. Do you have beadlocks? I trimmed the inside of my tires for mounting on beadlocks and they still take weight but much less to balance
That much weight isn't even normal on a tri-axle dump so forget 15oz on a drag car.

Per MT they will warranty a tire with more than 1% of the tire weight in ounces for balance on a radial tire. For a 35lb tire that is 5.6oz of weight. Industry standard is 2% so right at 11oz for anyone else. So yes. 15oz is absolutely Bonkers. Bias ply and straight race tires are different. The sticker on the tire Indicated as much. But it's not bias and it's not a non-DOT tire.

I did not have to trim mine but the replacement had an abnormality in the bead surface which manifested in a "high spot" almost like it wasn't sitting flush. My 2 old ones had no such molding flash or bevel. You could see it plain as day when spun on the machine. The first one I can't explain except for shit happens.

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I had to trim a little bit out of the side of the the tires for it to even mount on the beadlocks. They both have a lot of weight and I have no issues. 40 or so passes on the same set and highway driving

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Unfortunately it’s been this way for years

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #8
I had to trim a little bit out of the side of the the tires for it to even mount on the beadlocks. They both have a lot of weight and I have no issues. 40 or so passes on the same set and highway driving
My last set was 4.5 and 6.5 respectively and I ran them with 0 issues to 165mph but holy balls. Mine aren't that big. 9 to even 11.5 is out there.

I picked the best tread of that old set and it's going on right now. I bet it takes either 4.5 or 6.5 to balance again.

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Do you have beadlocks?

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I’m betting it’s how they’re mounted on the wheel and the internal diameter of the tire, if they’re beadlocks

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #11
Do you have beadlocks?
Yes.
I’m betting it’s how they’re mounted on the wheel and the internal diameter of the tire, if they’re beadlocks
I'm gonna say no. They both got the exact same seat, took the exact same pressure, starter bolts, rings, torque and were flipped 180 on each tire. The odds are highly unlikely. But we'll find out in a few minutes. The old one is mounted up and on the way to the shop.

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #12
Verdict is in. MT's QC group led by Ray Charles can eat a fat stack.

This is one of the radials that just came off this set of wheels. Believe about 3/32 left from the 5/32 new and the old set balanced out around 4.5 and 6 total ounces last time. I wonder what changed...but this 100% confirms both tires were trash. Can't wait to see the 3rd.

20240913_084818.jpg
20240913_084835.jpg

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I would talk with M/T just to see wat they have to say. I was a fan of the Hoosiers DOT DR but they don't make any in the size we need. I talked to them around 2018 and told them they are missing a market.

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #14
I would talk with M/T just to see wat they have to say. I was a fan of the Hoosiers DOT DR but they don't make any in the size we need. I talked to them around 2018 and told them they are missing a market.
I plan to visit the MT trailer at National Trail if they're there just to be like WTF BUD. But for now we can go race so I'm almost happy.

Summit STILL hasn't sent that replacement out the door so I'll be lucky to see it Monday long after I'm gone. I'm not going to even bother to have it diverted to the racetrack because they probably screw that up at this point too. Also would have no way to dismount and break the bead unless they'll do beadlocks on site.

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
People have been complaining about these tires for years, it’s hit or miss. You also have some burnouts on this set, which will impact it. Not an apples to apples comparison

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
People are really complaining lately about these tires. Damn shame. You pretty much have to order 3 and hope you get 2 decent ones.

The switch to Hoosier seems to be happening.

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #17
If the 29.5 hoosier wasn't over 1.5" more rolling diameter I'd have 2 on the way already. Cause I'm over it.

The 28 is about the same difference smaller (EDIT: A LOT smaller) which I've never ran so IDK how the car would like it.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
If the 29.5 hoosier wasn't over 1.5" more rolling diameter I'd have 2 on the way already. Cause I'm over it.

The 28 is about the same difference smaller (EDIT: A LOT smaller) which I've never ran so IDK how the car would like it.
I would say don't loose the sidewall.

GNBRETT

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Trackhawk, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Stang, Golf R
The Street R sucks balls it just does! I really just cant wrap my head around why more ppl dont just do the 15 inch conversion so u can run the MT Pro Radial.

Just about everyone I know who has a 17 inch rim with a MT Street R drives the car like that regularly. They dont put a different rims and tires on for street driving. Thats is there street set up!

So the MT Street R isnt gonna hook up in the rain nor is the MT Pro Radial. So, the only reason u run that tire is for better traction! Well, the traction sux with the Street R if ur making decent power so why not put the MT Pro Radial on so ucan actually have some traction and not have TRACTION ANXIETY?

I get it it costs more money but when uve spend $80k+ on ur car cause it goes FAST what good is that if ur spinning on the street.

Yea, they work decent at the track but suck on the street and considering probably 90% of the Hellcat owners here primarily drive their car on the street and likely NEVER when it rains it just boggles my mind why more ppl dont make the swap.

I think ppl just assume its just another tire MT sells. Its not! Its light years ahead of the Street R when referring to TRACTION! They both last about the same. Ive been running the same Pro Radial tire on my Turbo Mustang for 2 years now.

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I guess I’m not making decent power but my 17 et street r’s hook up at the track most of the time regardless of prep. Just use a headlock and air them down to 18 psi