Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Stellantis Temporarily Laying Off 1,600 Auto Workers Amid Production Cuts

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Yeah, the H2 vehicles will save them...... :rolleyes:

In May, Breitbart News reported on Stellantis executives’ move to launch its first hydrogen-powered vehicle for the U.S. market. The vehicle, though, will be manufactured at its plant in Saltillo, Mexico.

Last year, records reviewed by The American Prospect showed that Stellantis workers at its Saltillo plant can earn as little as $2.54 an hour.

Amid production cuts and layoffs, Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares has secured a $39 million compensation package — making him the top-earning auto executive in the U.S. General Motors CEO Mary Barra, with a $27.8 million compensation package, once held that title.

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2...g-off-1600-auto-workers-amid-production-cuts/

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Last year, records reviewed by The American Prospect showed that Stellantis workers at its Saltillo plant can earn as little as $2.54 an hour.
Interesting, considering that the vehicles coming out of Saltillo seem to be far better put together than what comes out of the domestic plants.

Maybe paying forklift drivers $80/hr (if that was true) isn't the key to good workmanship?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Interesting, considering that the vehicles coming out of Saltillo seem to be far better put together than what comes out of the domestic plants.

Maybe paying forklift drivers $80/hr (if that was true) isn't the key to good workmanship?
$2.54 an hour...how old are these workers...12 ???....and Carlos knockin down 39 mil a yr...and he can't throw a touchdown..or a strike...or dunk a basketball...WTF...somethings wrong here..:rolleyes:

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock

Maybe triple time ON a holiday! No one makes $80/hr except in those circumstances that’s including benefits.
I also know a few people that came here from Saltillo and I’m not sure who’s making $2.54 either??? Pay is better than that in Mexico. China maybe but not Mexico at least from the people I know of.
Carlos does in fact though have a $39 mill contract and for what? He sucks as a CEO and has done nothing but fuck this company up (at least US divisions)

EDIT TO ADD: The people I know are skilled tradesmen, so there's that part too:):unsure: AND you could not pay me enough to travel to Mexico to work for the reasons below.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I do know they pay very little in Mexico. We have a few plants there and I was told everyone there doesn't make much because if they did they would be a target for gangs/drug cartel. I was asked years ago if I would go to Reynosa if they needed help and I said no. They drive across the border everyday and take different ways to the plant when we have people down there

Bowtie Guy

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
Canada and the US cannot compete with MX or China in terms of wages
Wages are 5 to 10 times more here
Cost of living is also more here but the Auto manufactures don t care

Minimum wage is in the 2 dollar range at about $15.00 per day in MX
Although auto workers don t make minimum wage here or in MX
Auto workers jobs are sought after in MX like they are here
The reality is what we are losing here they are gaining there due to lower wages
Canada has to buy the business to get anything over here

What is starting to happen is overseas manufacturing from Canada & the US is slowly starting to go to MX instead of China
NAFTA between Canada US & MX makes it easy to assemble a vehicle in MX & in turn sell to Canada or the US
It is also easy to build all the tooling in MX & save cost & time on shipping overseas
MX will continue to grow

Lots going on in the Auto industry right now
Non of which looks to good for Canada & the US

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Canada and the US cannot compete with MX or China in terms of wages
Wages are 5 to 10 times more here
Cost of living is also more here but the Auto manufactures don t care

Minimum wage is in the 2 dollar range at about $15.00 per day in MX
Although auto workers don t make minimum wage here or in MX
Auto workers jobs are sought after in MX like they are here
The reality is what we are losing here they are gaining there due to lower wages
Canada has to buy the business to get anything over here

What is starting to happen is overseas manufacturing from Canada & the US is slowly starting to go to MX instead of China
NAFTA between Canada US & MX makes it easy to assemble a vehicle in MX & in turn sell to Canada or the US
It is also easy to build all the tooling in MX & save cost & time on shipping overseas
MX will continue to grow

Lots going on in the Auto industry right now
Non of which looks to good for Canada & the US
Unfortunately non of this results in lower prices for consumers. Make shit as cheaply as possible and still charge premium prices:mad:

Bowtie Guy

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
I do know they pay very little in Mexico. We have a few plants there and I was told everyone there doesn't make much because if they did they would be a target for gangs/drug cartel. I was asked years ago if I would go to Reynosa if they needed help and I said no. They drive across the border everyday and take different ways to the plant when we have people down there
The county I live in ( Essex County ) is full of Mexican migrant workers making minimum wage working in greenhouses
They are mostly here 8 months a year away from their families
Other then food they spend little & send the money they earn home

Bowtie Guy

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
Unfortunately non of this results in lower prices for consumers. Make shit as cheaply as possible and still charge premium prices:mad:
The savings goes to the present CEO

RetiredFirefighter

Firefighter
Member ID
Reactions
City
Metro
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Durango 392
RacerX offers an interesting analysis of the situation ...

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
The 25% price jump has nothing to do with union wages at any of the plants, it happened 3 years BEFORE a decent raise for members. I'm sorry but an 11% increase doesn't even cover inflation increases and we we're falling further behind each contract. The sales would have remained higher without that increase. I do love how a lot of people blame the workers but we have little to do with these huge price hikes! They where going to and where happening regardless of the workers!! Carlos I don't think has a clue how to run a car company (seems to make enough profits overall as a corporation to keep his job) along with the economic situation the world is in does not help, an election year screws us all to!
Trying to cut 30% with an ax is insane. We already can't get what we need half he time, makes keeping machines running difficult!! I sometimes think this is sabotage and being done intentionally.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I have a dream...

This November we win, then standards get rolled back/reversed/canceled, everyone realizes EVs are a scam, and we go back to ICE.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I have a dream...

This November we win, then standards get rolled back/reversed/canceled, everyone realizes EVs are a scam, and we go back to ICE.
I'd give up every wet dream I've ever had for that one.....(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y);)

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #14
I have a dream...

Spot on! One of the many reasons we can't compete with China (and they are laughing at us about it) is the U.S, has all the green mandates, while China remains the world's biggest polluter and CO2 emitter (two entirely different things). China doesn't give a crap, they know global warming is a scam and they are profiting from it, and certainly paying politicians to further it. And then there is DEI... We're toast. The election may delay things for a term or two, but we're batter fried.