Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Towing recommendations

Joale

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clayton
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 HC Redeye Challenger WB
I have a 2021 HC Durango I’m looking for enclosed towing or regular towing recommendations to tow my WB HC Redeye Challenger to track events 6 plus times a year.

Attachments

Last edited:

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Considering the max tow I believe is 8500lbs you're probably realistically not gonna want a large enclosed behind that durango.

Most base model enclosed trailers with 3500lb axles only give you a payload of about 3300-3600lbs...so you'd need 5200's with a 9990 GVR to safely do it. Most of those are slightly heavier by a couple hundred lbs. Say 3700 dry. Car is what...4300. That's 8k before you add any other supplies. Not good. Trailer would be ok. But towing it with the durango would not be fun. Especially since you'd need something like a 20ft enclosed. I hardly want to do that with my half ton...but I'm probably gonna. Ha.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Open trailer.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Considering the max tow I believe is 8500lbs you're probably realistically not gonna want a large enclosed behind that durango.

Most base model enclosed trailers with 3500lb axles only give you a payload of about 3300-3600lbs...so you'd need 5200's with a 9990 GVR to safely do it. Most of those are slightly heavier by a couple hundred lbs. Say 3700 dry. Car is what...4300. That's 8k before you add any other supplies. Not good. Trailer would be ok. But towing it with the durango would not be fun. Especially since you'd need something like a 20ft enclosed. I hardly want to do that with my half ton...but I'm probably gonna. Ha.

Best case would be a short 22-24' aluminum (enclosed) trailer, at about 3200lbs (minimal interior features) and a 4500lb car, NO other items loaded (makes for risky racing)

You're at least 7700lbs and nearly max towing on a vehicle with a less than ideal wheel base and low tow-vehical weight for heavy towing.

It could be done, but do you really want to?

Add fuel, tires, tools, gear and 8500lbs is easily done

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Aluminum open trailer at 1700 lbs or less or don’t attempt it. Someone in here towed theirs with an open and it squatted a lot in the back with a Durango hellcat

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
^ He is correct. FYI Even with an aluminum trailer a Durango needs different rear springs or an air shock set. That does go for an SRT.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
^ He is correct. FYI Even with an aluminum trailer a Durango needs different rear springs or an air shock set. That does go for an SRT.

You got a pic of your setup handy? How much did your trailer weigh?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
It is the H&H Speedloader EX. I simply am going to my favorite Mopar dealer and getting some recommended bigger springs for it this spring when I can get it back here to MN. It towed fine etc., but that squat needs to go. I was disappointed in the new Durango’s rear springs. May not use the trailer this year. Want it @BULL? I think I am just going to drive to BIR a few times for fun this summer.

IMG_6731.jpeg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
It is the H&H Speedloader EX. I simply am going to my favorite Mopar dealer and getting some recommended bigger springs for it this spring when I can get it back here to MN. It towed fine etc., but that squat needs to go. I was disappointed in the new Durango’s rear springs. May not use the trailer this year. Want it @BULL? I think I am just going to drive to BIR a few times for fun this summer.

View attachment 127569

All I can afford is $20, deal?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Sheesh, I'll give $50? Very interested to see what you can come up with DGatz for the rear - I don't have any imminent plans to tow with mine yet, so I'll just see how your R&D goes :giggle:. But seriously, to the OP - I concur with the advice here - yes it's rated for 8700 lb, but to me an all-aluminum trailer is a must if towing a big car to allow some carefully chosen cargo - I wouldn't push it any further. Definitely no enclosed trailer with a car on board.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
If they make a kit for the rango I'd just bag it and be done.

The silveraydo of course has leafs and I added the RAS springs them but I haven't towed since.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Sheesh, I'll give $50? Very interested to see what you can come up with DGatz for the rear - I don't have any imminent plans to tow with mine yet, so I'll just see how your R&D goes :giggle:. But seriously, to the OP - I concur with the advice here - yes it's rated for 8700 lb, but to me an all-aluminum trailer is a must if towing a big car to allow some carefully chosen cargo - I wouldn't push it any further. Definitely no enclosed trailer with a car on board.
$350!!! I'll even drive out and pick it up.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Bueller?

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
So this has the tow and go basically and it still squats?

View attachment 127569

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle

View attachment 127569
How much for the trailer

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
wha

View attachment 127569
What Springs are you going with?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
So this has the tow and go basically and it still squats?
Yep, she has everything, it is a premium version. I am real disappointed I need to get some different springs. I have looked around the internet a bit, some exist for consideration, I trust a few dudes at a good service department. I’ll ask them, and report back to the forum later this spring.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
How much for the trailer
Everything can be for sale. Make me a competitive offer.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Everything can be for sale. Make me a competitive offer.
I was just curious, it’s a nice one. Not in the market for one just yet. Looking at a tow rig at the moment, really interested in the solution you come up with for the squat. I was looking at an R/t, I saw someone tow a redeye with one( no tow n go so no upgraded suspension) and it squats the same amount as yours which is disheartening. Figured the adaptive suspension would have done more